Buy a Conventional Central Air Conditioner
Central Air Conditioner Unit Sizing
- Hire only a licensed contractor who will perform a
Manual J calculation
to size your unit.
- Or have the Manual J calculation done yourself, and then hire a reputable contractor to install the system. Perfect-Home-Hvac-Design can provide this
- Stick by the calculation. Don't second-guess the calculation! Do NOT oversize or undersize, or the unit will not perform as designed.
- The higher the
SEER and EER
ratings, the less it will cost you to operate. This does translate to increased installation costs though.
- SEER ratings must be a minimum of 13-SEER and can be as high as 22-SEER.
- Have the unit you are considering looked up in
website for actual SEER and EER ratings.
- Consult your local utilities for rebate programs for higher SEER units.
- A higher efficiency unit may qualify for a federal tax credit, as well.
Consider installation cost vs. operating cost
- Cheap will most likely mean an inferior unit, which will cost more to operate each month, and probably cost more to service and keep running.
- Stick with the name brand units. They are superior in quality, will cost less to maintain, and parts are readily available if a breakdown should occur.
- Figure a rough monthly savings for a higher SEER unit. For each 1 point in SEER upgrade, your savings will be approximately 10% in operating costs. Compare that to your initial installation increased costs.
Choose that contractor
- See our
Quality Installation Checklist.
- Take as many bids as you need to feel confident in your decision.
- Do NOT let price be your only guiding factor. The trustworthy, skilled contractor is probably not going to be the cheap guy.
- Immediately weed out the contractors whom tell you that a Manual J calculation is not necessary.
- Let your contractor impress you with his knowledge of his product, his recommendations should be best for you, the customer, not necessarily best for his pocketbook.
- Check his references, and his credentials.
Read more about Air Conditioners
Return to Quick Tips main page
Leave "Buy a Central Air Conditioner" and Return to HOME
Please feel free to link to this page from your website. This page's URL is: http://www.perfect-home-hvac-design.com/central-air-conditioner.html
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...
Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?
- Click on the HTML link code below.
- Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment,
your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.